-
July 18th, 2007, 12:27 PM
#1
Senior Hostboard Member
-
July 18th, 2007, 01:50 PM
#2
Senior Hostboard Member
I don't usually comment on "wire" but i'm feeling particularly brave, or stupid this morning so here goes.
What determines the ideal gauge of wire that should be used for the internal wiring of a speaker?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">IMO, in most factory built speakers there are only 2 considerations where internal wiring is concerned, cost and ability to deliver rated power to each driver, and the wire chosen usually observes a close balance between those two factors. As well, the internal wiring really has no special requirements in regard to durability or appearance, so i think the requisite order for most manufacturers is "the cheapest stuff that'll do the job".
I seems that gauge has always been a consideration, and the bigger the wire, the better. Why not go with a 14 gauge, or even 12 gauge wire?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Again, "the cheapest stuff that'll do the job".
Also, in the case of networks and some components HF in particular, they stand to be damaged from the excessive mechanical load of heavier guage wire so would require special support for heavier wire, which means more materials/labor and ultimately more cost. 18 ga can just flop in the breeze without really hurting anything.
Is it safe to assume that 18 gauge offers the right properties for this application, and that a larger wire is either not necessary, or sonically intrusive?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Just my opinion, but no, i don't feel that 18 ga is adequate in any part of a LF circuit. I in fact think the inadequacy of light guage wire on a woofer run can indeed be sonically intrusive where large dynamics are concerned, just my opinion based on my "dangerous" level of knowledge and experience.
-
July 18th, 2007, 09:09 PM
#3
Senior Hostboard Member
Gentlemen;
Cat 5 is 4pr # 24 AWG solid good to 100 mHz.
Not what I would pick . If you parallel prs you drop 3 AWGs each time you double up . So two 24s makes 21 AWG , four 24s makes 18 AWG four strand. Why not just use # 18 stranded ( 19 or 37 wires ) with greater flexibility.
Now what about your AC wires in the wall that power your amps ? I use # 6 AWG are you using 12 or 14 AWG ?
Don
-
July 18th, 2007, 11:42 PM
#4
Senior Hostboard Member
FWIW, several years back i bought a 500 foot spool of fine strand copper 10 ga wire that i use for all of my amplifier to speaker runs, i have a smaller spool of 16ga fine strand copper that i use for internal wiring of HF components and L-pads, for most woofers i use the 10 Ga stuff because i still have some left, but friends and favors will soon have me in the market for a re-supply.
My upstairs sound room has a pair of duplex receptacles in the amplifier area that are each fed via their own 20 amp circuits on runs of less than 50 feet 10/2 AWG, the pair draw from opposite legs of the incoming main, so with some careful wiring of power cords i can get 40 amps of 230vac from that pair of standard outlets.
In my basement i have yet to work out my new power scheme. I have a 150 foot section of 4/4 Belden flexible power cable which will allow me to bring 80-100 amps of 230vac anywhere i want it. I'm thinking of doing an 80 amp sub feed and building a small distribution panel similar to ones i've built in the past for sound reinforcement and lighting applications.
I used to use carver power amps and am well aware of the importance of good AC mains power.
Gamalot makes a great point about tight, secure connections, without those, any wire discussion is rather moot.
-
July 19th, 2007, 03:05 AM
#5
Inactive Member
I would agree with Bowtie and usually don't comment on wire.
What was used in the past may not be up to spec today and is certainly not up to many who believe in the designer specialty wires.
I like useing twisted pairs of Cat 5E going from XO to the HF driver and good quality 16 Ga. fine stranded copper to the LF driver.
This is not saying it is the best solution but rather that it works for me and my budget.
I also use 12 Ga. like Monster to go from amp to speakers but believe this to be overkill unless you have a long run such as over 50 feet.
I pay strict attention to the connections themselves as this is where I believe problems or losses might occurr.
Gary
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28236960 times.
Bookmarks